Politics & Government

Friday, March 13, 2009

GWB said this as a joke, taking off of Lincoln

1) You can fool some of the people all the time,


and those are the ones you want to concentrate on.


George W. Bush





2) You can fool some of the people all of the time,


and all of the people some of the time,


but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.


Abraham Lincoln (attributed)



1 and 2.




i never heard bush put it quite that way--i think he said "you can fool some of the people once and sometimes..well, fool me...(awkward pause) fool me once and don't fool me again"--i'm sure googling "bush's fool me video" will get you the desired exact --funny--quote. And yes, george really did mangle the quote, much like he mangled many other quotes--and no, he was not making a joke as the spinmeisters are fond of saying. Obama doesn't mangle like george did.




Your quote from GWB is way off! He wasn't trying to take off of Lincoln either so your question is irrelevant.





He was trying to say, "You fool me once shame on you. You fool me a second time shame on me."





Instead he said something like, " You fool me once shame on me, you fool me twice...uh...the point is you fool me once you can't fool me again."




I can think of a few slogans that fit Obama better.





1. If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. If you make them really think, they'll hate you. (I don't know who first said this.)





2. Lead, follow or get out of the way.





3. Whenever anything happens, there are people who make it happen, there are people who stand in the way of it happening, and then there are people who weren't involved who wonder what the hell happened. (I think this might have been Tip O'Neil).





4. If the facts don't suit your side, do what you can to confuse the issues. If you can't dazzle 'em with your brilliance, baffle 'em with your bullsh*t. (Actually at this point that would go better for the Republican leadership.)




Bush wasn't really joking. That was one of the policies of his administration. The quotes don't apply to President Obama. He is actually trying to address the problems and he actually doesn't have time to think about fooling people. The results of his efforts are and will be obvious.




Both actually!





I came accross a paragraph today in the novel I'm currently reading that made me laugh...


"You have to trust yourself, he continued, and let the princes of the world get along as best they could with the people that elected them. Most time's that wasn't very well, but that's okay; they deserved each other."




Actually, Bush said, "They have a saying in Texas, I'm sure they have it here in Tennessee that fool me once...uhm, you can fool some of the people ...uhm...you won't get fooled again!"





(At least get the bridbrain's quote right...)




1


Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.


Theodore Roosevelt




i think bob marley said something like that also... something about weed...




none of them describes Obama

No comments:

Post a Comment